Woo! So, I wrote this article in May of 2010, and I’m happy to report that since then, I’ve crossed out two of the guitarists on my “guitarists I’m determined to meet” list, plus I’ve met a few others 🙂 Dreams DO come true in a world with no limits…
Anyway, below is the original article with a few updates. Also, I added some super famous non-guitarists to the list, too. Enjoy!
I don’t mean to brag (well, just a little bit), but I’ve met some pretty amazing guitar players – the kind of guitar players you’re likely to worship and have a poster of in your room.
Below you’ll find a list of all the amazing guitar players I’ve been fortunate enough to meet. You’ll also find a list of guitarists that I’m determined to meet in the future.
Share your stories with me! Let me know whom you’ve met and whom you’d like to meet.
Guitar Players Famous People (Mostly Musicians) I’ve Met
- Joe Satriani – 4th & B concert in San Diego and again in G3
- Steve Vai – National Guitar Workshop Clinic in New York in 2009
- Yngwie Malmsteen – G3 in San Diego
- Joe Bonamassa – Backstage in Riverside concert
- Joshua Gooch – At the King of The Blues Guitar Center competition in Hollywood, & in Riverside.
- John Petrucci – At Humphrey’s By The Bay in San Diego, and in the NAMM Show in Anaheim
- Paul Gilbert – At Musician’s Institute in Los Angeles
- Pat Metheney – At a yearly classical guitar festival in Tijuana (as a spectator, not performer)
- Richie Kotzen – At a House of Blues concert in San Diego
- Sergio Vallin – At the NAMM Show in Anaheim
- Frank Gambale – At a concert he gave in Tijuana in 2003
- Derek Trucks – At the 2010 King of The Blues Grand Finals
- Sir Angel Romero – Small world! We met in San Diego
- Corey Beaulieu (Trivium) – In the band’s tour bus during the 2011 Mayhem Festival. Also met the singer, Matt Heafy.
- Phil Collen (Def Leppard) – At the Fender Visitor Center in Corona, Calif., while he was painting a gigantic guitar for charity. Nicest guy ever.
- Tony Franklin (Roy Harper, Jimmy Page, Kenny Wayne Shepherd) – Tony (a.k.a. “The Fretless Monster”) is a dear friend and an amazing bassist. First met him at the 2010 King of The Blues Grand Finals.
- Phil Demmel (Machine Head) – In 2011 at the Mayhem Festival and then again in August 2012 at the Fender Visitor Center.
- Eric Johnson – Woohoo! Croosed him out of my wish list. Met him at NAMM 2012 and then again at the Fender Visitor Center in August 2012.
- Dave Ellefson (Megadeth) – In 2011 at the Fender headquarters and several times after that in other places. Possibly the nicest man on earth.
- Mike Dirnt (Green Day) – Super chill, down-to-earth guy. Met at NAMM 2012.
- James Burton – Talk about a legend. Met him at the Fender headquarters early in 2012.
- Brian “Head” (Korn) – Majorrrrr moment for me, as I was really into him while I was a teen. Contrary to what you might think, he’s a sweetheart of a guy. Met him in Alice Cooper’s Christmas Pudding concert in 2011.
- Kip Winger – Also met him in Alice Cooper’s Christmas Pudding in 2011.
- Alice Cooper – Woo! Super awesome dude. Met him as his Christmas Pudding event in 2011.
- Emilio Estefan – Amazing human being. So humbled and honored to have met him. It happened at the Hispanicize 2012 event in Miami, Fla.
- Orianthi – YAY! Another guitarist I was able to cross off my wish list. Sweetheart of a girl… met her at NAMM 2012.
27. David Davidson (Revocation) – Seriously out-of-this-world guitarist who happens to be super cool and very well-spoken. LOVE his wicked chops! Also met the band’s drummer Phil Dubois.
28. Intocable – Haha, yep… Norteño band Intocable. Met them in Ensenada and they’re all fine gentlemen.
29. Chris Shiflett (Foo Fighters) – Met him in Burbank, Calif., earlier this year. Super chill guy!
30. Greg Koch – Met him at a 2011 Guitar Center clinic. Funniest person I’ve ever met.
My wish list:
Guitar Players Musicians I’m Determined To Meet
- John Mayer – Love his voice, love his licks… super talented, modern-day guitarist.
- Tom Morello – This guy reinvented guitar, seriously. What a performer!
- Jason Mraz – He magically makes a plain C chord sound heavenly.
- Slash – Do I need to explain? He’s a legend.
- Kirk Hammett – I secretly want to pull his curly hair (and Slash’s, too).
- Carlos Santana – His phrasing makes any atheist turn into a believer.
- Eric Clapton – He’s the man.
- John Frusciante – His chord inversions make me happy.
- Jeff Beck – Pfffft, in my dreams. Hey, I met the 30 guys above… anything is possible.
- Matt Bellamy – If Bach would’ve been a guitarist, this is what he would’ve sounded like.
- Orianthi – I’ve never seen anything like her before. Brilliant and beautiful! Woo! Met her already.
- Ana Vidovic – Possibly the hottest, most talented classical guitar player ever.
- Eric Johnson – His music makes me want to skip, skip, skip to my lou. Met him already, too!
- Jorge Cardoso – He’s an AMAZING modern-day composer… he’s a doctor, too!
- Serj Tankian (System of a Down) – Love, love, love this band. As a matter of fact, I’m listening to them as I type this sentence. Would love to meet him… and will one day.
- Chino Moreno (Deftones) – Oh God… I have an obscene crush on him. I’d probably just gawk at him if I met him (WHEN I MEET HIM!).
- Katy Perry – Ummm… what?! Yes… just look at her. The woman looks great, plays great, and has some serious talent.
- Shakira – Loooove her. She’s been an inspiration to me since the early ’90s when hardly anyone knew about her.
- Juanes – I’m a huge fan of his fun/intrepid lyrics and his super awesome twangy Tele sound!
- Pitbull – I don’t discriminate, y’all. I listen to all genres of music, and Pitbull happens to be all over my iPod. He’s not bad on the eye either… 😀