When I was working at Fender, a writer for The Arizona Republic came to the office to interview my colleague for a piece she was writing on what employees listen to while working. You can read that here.
I thought it was a cool topic to write about, and it inspired me to give you a glimpse into a few songs I often listen to throughout my workday.
There’s no discrimination in my musical taste – I listen to everything from Pantera to Los Tigres del Norte and everything in between. Let’s go!
“5 Minutes Alone” – Pantera. Recommended listen for:
- Prior to walking into a meeting or jumping on a conference call (coffee and steno pad in hand for optimum results)
- Annihilating things off your to-do list
- Whenever you want to bask in the glory of Dimebag Darrell’s blissful guitar chops.
For a similar effect, I recommend “I’m Broken,” and “A New Level,” by Pantera, and Deftones’ entire Koi No Yokan album.
“Bright Lights Bigger City” – Cee Lo Green. Recommended listen for:
- Getting ready to go to work. You’ll feel like a million bucks.
- Getting ready to shut down for the day. You’ll want to get ready to go out.
- Whenever, really.
“Team” – Lorde. Recommended listen for:
- When you’re pouring your first coffee of the day and aren’t quite ready for the musical jolt that Pantera will inevitably provide.
- Background music while partaking in any mellow activities, mainly sifting through e-mails.
- Anything that inspires calm excitement. Good song to gently wake up to.
“Ay Vamos” – J. Balvin. Recommended listen for:
- After rocking a meeting or conference call. You kinda can’t help but dance to this song.
- When in need of a post-lunch pick-me-up. For maximum effect, pair with strong Colombian coffee.
“Doo-Wop” – Lauryn Hill. Recommended listen for:
- When coffee number one has already kicked in, and you need a power anthem to further catapult your mojo.
“Rising Force” – Yngwie Malmsteen. Recommended listen for:
- When you’re not sure if you’re in the mood for classical or electric guitar (how about both?).
- At the end of a really successful work day.